Skip to content

Inaka Dictionary: 刷毛 (はけ)paint brush

July 1, 2010

paint brushes

The Japanese word for “hair brush” or “scrub brush” is simply “burashy,” borrowed from the English word “brush.” But when it comes to “penki” (presumably also from the English word “paint”) the proper word for a paint brush is hake.  If you live in Japan’s inaka (countryside), you’ll do plenty of painting (buildings, boats, fences, furniture, etc), with both 水性 (すいせい)water-based and  油性 (ゆせい)oil-based paint.

If you prefer painting scenes of the countryside on canvas, then don’t use a hake! In that case, just as in Japanese calligraphy, you’ll use a 筆 (ふで)fude, the type of paint brush that is small, long and thin. The cows at the Moooo! Bar used a fude to paint the miniature Eiffel tower above, but we plan to use a hake when we go to France to paint the real thing.

One Comment leave one →
  1. September 21, 2014 7:30 pm

    I couldn’t refrain from commenting. Perfectly written!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: